- Hi, i am going to solve the problem of white boxes around the menu bar of notepad, vlc, or other applications of windows operating system.
- After customizing and applying a desktop theme, you may notice that the menu bar in various applications is surrounded with white color, as shown in the figure below. This happens due to an incorrect UserPreferencesMask registry value.
If you face this kind of problem, here is the solution...
To Resolve This
- Right-click My Computer icon, and choose Properties
- Click the Advanced tab
- Under Performance, click Settings
- Click the Visual Effects tab, click Custom
- Uncheck Use Visual styles on windows and buttons
- Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog
- Click OK to close the System Properties dialog
The screen will now turn into Windows Classic look. Now repeat the above procedure, but this time, "enable" the Use Visual styles on windows and buttons check box. The menu bar problem should be resolved now.
If not, try this:
- Open Registry Editor and navigate to this key:
- Backup the key by exporting it.
- Double-click the value UserPreferencesMask
- Change the third octet of this key to 07
- Logoff / Logon for the changes to take effect
If the value data is 90 32 05 80, change that to 90 32 07 80
The combination varies. You only need to change the third octet.
Then you are free now, and your window appears as normal. (Just like the side picture)